Header Ads Widget

Evan Rachel Wood Breaks Silence on Practical Magic 2 Recasting and Franchise Snub

 While excitement surrounds the return of nineties cult classics, the atmosphere behind the scenes of the upcoming Practical Magic 2 appears far less enchanting.

A sharp social media comment has laid bare the underlying tension between original cast members and the team leading the high-profile sequel.

Evan Rachel Wood recently voiced her disappointment regarding how her replacement was handled, singling out the one person who extended courtesy during the transition.

Evan Rachel Wood Applauds Joey King While Calling Out Original Crew

The drama peaked after Evan Rachel Wood, 38, shared a candid message on her Instagram Stories reacting to news from the red carpet.

Wood revealed that newcomer Joey King was the sole individual connected to the project who reached out to her directly following the recasting decision.

"I really appreciated Joey King reaching out to me because no one who worked on the original film did," Wood wrote. She pointedly added, "She’s a sweetheart."

The sharp contrast between King's gesture and the silence from legacy cast members immediately drew attention across social media platforms.

The comment arrived shortly after King, 27, spoke warmly about Wood at the Los Angeles premiere of Practical Magic 2.

Speaking with reporters, King confirmed the two had a pleasant private conversation prior to the event.

"I just was so appreciative of the support that she showed to me and to the rest of the cast," King told reporters. "She is so talented and so beautiful and she made this role so special when she was a young girl."

King expressed deep gratitude for taking over the character of Kylie Owens, while reiterating her respect for Wood's original portrayal.

"I feel so grateful to be able to play Kylie at this age, but I love Evan so much and I’m so appreciative of her kind words and the exchange that her and I shared," King noted.

How the Practical Magic Sequel Left Its Original Daughters Behind

The recasting saga began taking shape months before premiere night, when fans noticed key names missing from official production announcements.

In the original 1998 hit Practical Magic, Wood played Kylie Owens, the young daughter of Sandra Bullock’s character, Sally Owens.

Her onscreen sister, Antonia Owens, was originally portrayed by child actress Alexandra Artrip.

However, when Warner Bros. officially greenlit the sequel, neither original daughter was invited back to reprise their roles.

Instead, the production team opted to cast Joey King as Kylie and Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams as Antonia.

Wood addressed the situation directly with her followers to clear up rising speculation regarding her absence.

"I am getting asked about this a lot, so I’ll just clear it up now," Wood shared on social media. "I was not asked to come back and be in the Practical Magic sequel."

She revealed that she actively reached out to producers in hopes of securing even a minor appearance in the new installment.

"I offered my services, even if it was one scene or one line," Wood explained. "I was told they are recasting. I am sorry to disappoint the fans. It was not in my control or my choice. I would have happily rejoined my sisters."

Creative Shifts and Age Dynamic Explanations

The decision to completely recast the Owens daughters sparked debate among longtime fans who expected a direct continuation of the 1998 story.

Wood further expanded on the creative disconnect during an interview with Entertainment Tonight, referencing Alice Hoffman's source material.

"I read the book and it seems like they’re not following the book," Wood stated. "I think in the book it would have made sense to bring me back; I think in the way they’re redoing it and approaching it, it didn’t make sense."

Addressing the controversy at the premiere, director Susanne Bier offered the studio's official perspective on why the shift occurred.

Bier emphasized that the script required a specific demographic profile that didn't align with aging the original child actors in real-time.

"In the story, they’re just, like, literally out of college, and with Joey and Maisie it just felt completely right," Bier clarified.

While the younger generation underwent a complete casting overhaul, the primary adult cast from the 1998 classic remains intact.

Sandra Bullock, 62, and Nicole Kidman, 59, return to lead the film as sisters Sally and Gillian Owens.

Additionally, veteran actresses Dianne Wiest and Stockard Channing have returned to reprise their memorable roles as the eccentric aunts, Jet and Frances Owens.

Despite the heavy nostalgia backing the project, Wood's public comments highlight a distinct rift between the original ensemble and the new production direction.

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/evan-rachel-wood-shades-practical-magic-2-cast-bar-joey-king/

Post a Comment

0 Comments