Multiple TikTok posts shared by President Donald Trump’s social media team have had their audio removed after featuring songs by Taylor Swift, marking the latest instances of the singer's catalog being pulled from official online content.
On Wednesday, August 12, the White House published a video showing footage of Trump, 80, speaking to supporters set to Swift’s 2021 release, “I Bet You Think About Me.” The post featured a caption referencing the track's lyrics, reading, “We know you think about us.” By late Wednesday, the video was muted on the platform alongside an onscreen message stating, “this sound isn’t available.”
The removal follows a similar event days earlier. On Saturday, August 8, the Team Trump TikTok account posted a campaign clip featuring Swift’s song “August” with the caption, “I’m sure Taylor Swift is going to be super excited we used her song.” Within hours, the track was replaced, accompanied by an onscreen notice explaining that “the copyright owner hasn’t made this sound available in your country.”
According to a report by Rolling Stone, the 36-year-old artist also recently had her music quietly removed from older TikTok videos posted by the president’s digital team. Representatives for Swift and the White House were contacted for comment.
White House Strategy and Artist Opposition
The White House routinely incorporates popular music into its social media video content without receiving prior authorization from the performing artists.
Earlier this year, recording artists Katy Perry, Kesha, and Ariana Grande publicly condemned the White House for featuring their songs in promotional videos focused on military action in Iran and controversial immigration policies.
The administration has previously acknowledged that it uses music intentionally to incite reactions. In October 2025, after fan backlash erupted over an official White House TikTok set to Swift's track “The Fate of Ophelia,” officials addressed the strategy directly.
“We made this video because we knew fake news media brands would breathlessly amplify them,” a White House spokesperson stated at the time. “Congrats, you got played.”
Remarks and Political Background
The song removals follow recent comments made by Trump regarding the singer. On July 4, Trump mocked Swift’s wedding to Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelce. Days later, during a July 6 press conference, Trump asserted that his reach on TikTok surpassed Swift's presence on the platform.
“It was announced about two days ago. The new numbers just came out. You know who the No. 1 person in TikTok is by far? Trump, me. I’m No. 1,” Trump claimed without citing a source. “Like, Taylor Swift was number 11. I’m No. 1 in TikTok by far.”
While Swift has largely avoided responding directly to statements from Trump, she previously addressed political content after falsified media surfaced online during the 2024 presidential race.
“Recently I was made aware that AI of ‘me’ falsely endorsing Donald Trump’s presidential run was posted to his site,” Swift stated when announcing her political endorsement. “It really conjured up my fears around AI, and the dangers of spreading misinformation. It brought me to the conclusion that I need to be very transparent about my actual plans for this election as a voter. The simplest way to combat misinformation is with the truth.”
In her statement, Swift formally backed former Vice President Kamala Harris and running mate Tim Walz.
“I will be casting my vote for Kamala Harris and Tim Walz in the 2024 Presidential Election. I’m voting for @kamalaharris because she fights for the rights and causes I believe need a warrior to champion them. I think she is a steady-handed, gifted leader and I believe we can accomplish so much more in this country if we are led by calm and not chaos,” Swift wrote. “I was so heartened and impressed by her selection of running mate @timwalz, who has been standing up for LGBTQ+ rights, IVF, and a woman’s right to her own body for decades.”
https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/taylor-swift-has-her-music-removed-from-trump-tiktok-videos/
0 Comments
This space aims to broaden the debate on the subject addressed in the news, democratically and respectfully. Comments that violate laws and ethical and moral principles or that promote illegal or criminal activities will not be accepted. Therefore, slanderous, defamatory, prejudiced, offensive, aggressive comments, those that use foul language, incite violence, express hate speech or contain links will be summarily deleted.